[CQ-Contest] Aluminum fatigue cracks and scratches - treatment?

Eric Scace K3NA eric at k3na.org
Thu Aug 5 22:01:46 EDT 2004

   Cracks due to resonances and vibration-induced fatigue can be halted.  Drill a small hole at the end of the crack (the end which
is propagating into the heart of the tubing) clear through the wall of the aluminum.  It is more difficult for a tear to continue to
develop past the hole.  (This technique is often used in cymbals, where a poor-quality casting can cause the outer edge of the
cymbal to crack due to fatigue.  Works like a champ.)

   Of course, one should immediately thereafter address the cause of the original crack, which it sounds like you have done.

-- Eric K3NA