[CQ-Contest] Advantages not created equal

Roy Maull rmaull at charter.net
Tue Aug 17 09:42:37 EDT 2004

At 01:32 8/17/2004, you wrote:

>On Aug 11, 2004, at 3:47 PM, <mark at nevus.org> wrote:
>
>>I lost count of how many "can you QSY to 10?" we had to turn down because of
>>the counterproductive and unnecessary 10 minute rule which should be
>>rescinded.  I wish those legions of tube-radio guys would upgrade to
>>solid-state radios so we could finally bag the 10 minute rule once and for
>>all.
>
>The 10 minute rule, for all of its flaws, effectively eliminates the use
>of an "Octopus" station in the competition.
>
>What other simple, enforceable rule would exile the octopus without any
>other deleterious effects?
>
>Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
>Quote: "Not within a thousand years will man ever fly!"
>             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

         Bill,

         The ten minute rule was applied to the SO class to squash the "so
called" SO2R advantage.  It originated for the MOST class with multiple
radios to preclude their operating much like a MOMT station.
         Although the SO2R station was inconvenienced a bit by this rule,
the true SO1R small station that primarily works S&P was the most severely
impacted.  It hampers the flexibility needed to maximize the score by
chasing mults from band to band as needed.
         I have always considered this the worst rule ever applied to the
SO class.

         73.. Roy N8YYS
         Keep West Virginia Beautiful.. Grow ALUMINUM!!