[CQ-Contest] Here we go again

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Wed Dec 1 08:06:34 EST 2004

Case in point:  CQWW this past weekend, I invited a college age friend
came over to watch me operate 80M SB SO LP UNassisted...  Boring for
him of course, after about 3 minutes...

So, I said, why don't you jump on 20 meters and make some Q's under
your call... Well, he wasn't sure...  Aww come on, I said...  And I
rustled around and found him an amp, antenna, rig, computer, cables,
etc., and set him to putting it all together... He operated about 4
hours and had a ball...
As he was leaving I said, take a copy of the log and turn it in to
CQ...
Naw, he said, it isn't a big score...
So what, I told him, you gave out points that helped others increase
their score... Turn the log in to help promote contesting.  And, it
will give you something to look for next summer when the contest
results issue of CQ comes out...
OK that sounds good, he said, and left whistling a tune...

The bottom line is that he had a good time, he has anticipation of
seeing his score listed in the contest results, and he feels good about
operating the next contest, even if only for a few  hours...  He also
worked the Falklands and the Shetlands for the first time and will be
sending for the cards...  The size of the score doesn't count for guys
like him, it is the satisfaction of participating, the new countries
worked, and the anticipation of seeing his call listed...

And I had the enjoyment of having him in the shack while we operated...
 Invite someone over to watch or help...

Denny - k8do