[CQ-Contest] RE: Here we go again

Stephen M. Murphy murphys at comcast.net
Wed Dec 1 21:05:14 EST 2004

Well said, Bud.

73,
Steve N8NM

----- Original Message -----
From: "W2RU - Bud Hippisley" <W2RU at frontiernet.net>
To: <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:02 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: Here we go again

> At 16:32 2004-12-01, K0HB wrote:
> >> ... he has anticipation of
> >> seeing his score listed in the contest results...
> >
> >Good thing it was a CQ contest, not an ARRL contest.
>
> Right on, Hans.....
>
> For all the dialog on this reflector about boosting contest awareness and
participation by the "newbies" and "little guys", I'm surprised this is the
first reference to one of the biggest dis-incentives of recent years --
ARRL's decision to scrap the line scores submitted by "the rest of us".

> There is a wonderful thrill to seeing your call in print for your first
few -- or few hundred -- contests, even if at or near the bottom of your
section or country listings.  The League, in its infinite ($$$$$) wisdom,
took even that small prize away from 99% of entrants.  Quite frankly, if
space is *truly* an issue and it has to be one or the other, I'd rather have
the line scores than text that duplicates the tabular Top 10 listings.

> And don't give me the same tired old baloney about how you can get the
full listings on the web.  Web data has the permanence of snow in Florida.
There's nothing like opening up a good ol' "hard copy" magazine and seeing
your call in print -- even when it's for a measly four or five QSOs.  I
know -- I've been there a lot.