[CQ-Contest] Chiming in -- SO2R

dennis o'connor k8do at mailblocks.com
Thu Dec 2 07:37:03 EST 2004

Equipment does not the contestor make!  Every time I have Greg, K8GL,
over to the shack and he sits down at the key paddle, I hang around
with my mouth open (attracting flies as usual) as he casually pulls 3
(that's three complete calls) out of the pile up on one QRZ.. Has the
first two stand by, then works three of em backwards, before signing
his call and QRZ, for another three...  I am not incompetent at CW (not
even close to being in his league though) and his rate on the meter is
double what I can do at my best... Worse yet, once we go to S&P, he
makes a single pass across the band and on the next pass doesn't have
to listen for the call as he tunes as he 'knows' who is where, and like
a shark homes in on the new guy who just set up shop since the last
sweep...