[CQ-Contest] Urban noise levels

K3BU at aol.com K3BU at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 16:12:06 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/4/2004 3:48:52 PM Eastern Standard Time,
johngeig at yahoo.com writes:
>>Are these levels fairly normal in todays urban living
areas, or do I need to really start looking around for
noise sources? <<

There are different types of noise that we get exposed to in the urban
environment.
Noise level depends on the antennas that you use (sensitivity to particular
type), "normal" band noise due to atmospheric noise and then the "nightmare"
power line and appliance generated noise. Each has different characteristics,
i.e. typical band noise is Shhhh type with occasional static crashes from
lightning. Man made, electrical noise form bad insulators and appliances
(fluorescent lights, etc.) is more like frying type.

Overall, your level given the described situation is not bad, I used to have
S8-9 noise on 80 and 160 back in Toronto.
With directional antenna you should be able to see is frying noise increases
in particular direction, that would indicate source, but some times noise
travels and you can get false reading.

73 Yuri, K3BU.us