[CQ-Contest] QST...A radical thought?

Ron Notarius wn3vaw at verizon.net
Sat Dec 4 21:43:12 EST 2004

Ward (et al),

I would think at least part of your idea would be very easy to implement.

Just add a new line to the outputted Cabrillo file format.  Call it
something like "Send Results To:" (yes, I know this would be somewhat
shorter in actual implementation!).  Placing your email address on this line
indicates that you want to receive the .pdf results file when it's released.

In theory, when the Cabrillo file is processed, these email addresses are
harvested and stored in a database.  Then when the results, or for that
matter anything pertinent to the contest, are released, they are sent to all
the stored addresses in the database.  There would probably have to be some
data validation involved (in making sure the email addresses are valid, or
aren't to services that limit attachments, and so forth), and I think from
security standpoint, once the results are released, the database should be
cleared... but those are details for the devil to worry about.

By extension, once this is implemented, it should also be easy (should it be
desired and should someone wish to do the work) to set up a similar system
so that anyone who wishes results from a contest or any other activity can
opt in, or out.  Heck, I handle two club newsletter mailing lists on
eGroups, er, yahooGroups that way with a minimum of fuss!

Of course, why do I have the feeling I'm not telling you anything really new
there, am I?

73, ron wn3vaw