[CQ-Contest] ARRL and Contesters

Dennis Ponsness wb0wao at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 5 00:17:31 EST 2004

I too was saddened when they dropped the line scores from QST - I can
remember the first time I ever saw my call in print in the results from the
September 1977 VHF QSO Party 'test (imagine my shock when I saw I was first
in the Kansas section!  Even though I am a member and support the ARRL, I
was shocked to see one of the previous postings state that their "focus" is
on the SOTB crowd.  I just wonder how long it will be until the league
starts to "re-evaluate" the cost / benefit ratio of contests.  If they are
really going to focus on the SOTB / EmCom crowd, then I can see the ARRL
gradually "phasing out" contest support.

Perhaps the time is coming soon that the contest community should consider
creating a national "umbrella" organization of contesters and contest clubs
to not only "take up the slack" but to act as an advocate and promoter of
the contest community at large.

73

Dennis - WB0WAO

EN84ij Iosco County, Michigan