[CQ-Contest] Feast!

Joe Contester radiosporting at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 5 15:19:21 EST 2004

Ev and others,
I'd like to learn more about the feast mentioned above!

Roy WA4DOU

I wish I could say, go to such-and-such contest cafe', :) but I can't.  The "21st century feast" is something that we see only incidental glimpses of.  K1TTT put his station's performance stats on the web and got some quite remarkable hit-stats.  This alone tells me that we are hungry for such stuff.  His "proof of concept" was just the appetizer.

There are those that chant the mantra, "the Internet is killing the hobby", yet we seem to overlook the Internet as a supporting (rather than competing) factor.

Imagine a time when the "excitement" starts 1/2 hour before the event begins.  Participants log-in to the central server system, enter the particulars about their stations (RF output, antenna gain, antenna height, geographic location, years of operator experience, etc.) and the central server system uses some formula to create essentially equal (to within 3dB) teams that then compete against eachother during the on-air event! (no, I haven't thought of all of the subtle nuances of such a thing, this is simply a vision-thing)

No, I'm not inferring a "spotting" system.  Just exchanging raw stats (Q's, Mult's, score) with other participants in near-real time.  That's a definate "cool factor" thing.  Put that together with the ability to compare one's performance to others with a similar configuration, or enter your goals and have the system tell you how you're doing in attaining them (create your OWN categories), we have a real winner of an idea.

Ward's thoughts of emailing results to participants was discussed on the VHF Contesting remailer a couple of months ago, too.  It is an excellent "first step" toward a much brighter opportunity that we have before us.

Alas, ideas without resources and action are, well, just ideas. :)

Ev