[CQ-Contest] Signing /QRP In Contests

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Sun Dec 5 16:06:33 EST 2004

At 03:58 PM 12/5/2004, Eric Hilding wrote:

>[SIGH...]
>
>While I admire those who take on the challenge of 5w in a DX contest (or
>any other NON-QRP-Specific) event, these are my observations (and
>FRUSTRATIONS) of working stations that sign "callsign/QRP" instead of just
>their calls...especially in the ARRL CW DX Contest as DX in February and
>most recently in last weekend's 160m contest:

etc...

I agree that it's annoying and a waste of time to have someone who is quite
adequately loud signing /QRP.  On the other hand, if the signal is weak,
and I'm on a band or in a contest where I expect not to be too loud myself,
I might not even try a weak signal because I'd figure he wouldn't hear
me.  If I know he's QRP, that makes a 10-15 dB difference in
reciprocity.  This weekend in the ARRL 160 that was particularly true,
because 200 watts and a shunt fed tower with radials in disrepair don't add
up to loud.

73, Pete N4ZR