[CQ-Contest] RE: QRPers calling off freq

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Dec 6 08:52:31 EST 2004

(RE-Threaded from: Signing /QRP In Contests)

I believe this is deserving of a separate Subject thread.
---
Steve, K0SR, very appropriately made the following comment pertaining to
QRP Contest Operators:

 > Calling off frequency:  Learn how to zero beat.  If you're weak, AND on the
 > edge of the filter skirts you won't be heard.

Thank you for mentioning this, Steve.  I sincerely hope your admonition
will help some of the QRP ops, because this is a *big* problem.  Too many
QRPers are shooting themselves in the foot (especially QRP JA ops as I've
observed over the past months).

A slight turn of the QRPers XIT knob can work pkay, but not what's
currently being done.  Or, that they don't know how to equate their own
sidetone monitoring Hz setting to "zero beat".  Maybe some of the QRPers
who subscribe to CQ-CONTEST can help their brethern out by forwarding your
helpful comment to ALL the QRP clubs/groups/organizations.  And, maybe
conduct their own "zero beat alignment" tests :-)

In a non-contest scenario where the station being called is working split &
tuning a wide frequency range "up", that's a different ballgame, of course.

73...

Rick, K6VVA