[CQ-Contest] RE: Awesome Morse Trainer

Richard Ferch ve3iay at rac.ca
Fri Dec 10 19:17:08 EST 2004

Rick K6VVA said:

>Hmmm...I was thinking if the ability to edit before the next QSO that
>would be great. But, why screw up a good "run" if, by simply keeping a
>notepad handy, any post-corrections could be done after the fact. That
>doesn't strike me as any kind of cheating or manipulation, because you
>copied the initial correction and will make the log correction (not an
>assistant :-)

Well, that goes too far for me, Rick. Editing an exchange on the fly as a
result of a corrected exchange sent by the other station is one thing,
post-contest adjustment of the log is another.

I would be willing to spend a couple of seconds copying a corrected
exchange from a "LID" who sends 5nn 25 e e 5nn 24 5nn 24, but waiting until
the end of the session and editing QSOs by hand afterwards? No way. I don't
play with a contest simulator in order to spend time massaging my log
afterwards, that's too boring even for a middle-aged fogey like me.

Besides, who has time to pick up a pencil and make a note in competition
mode? In the time that takes you could just work another QSO. In my view,
if you can write down the QSO information legibly on a piece of paper
faster than you can log it on the computer, then you don't need any
practice note-taking, you need more practice on the simulator!

On a sort of related topic, now that we have hot keys for RIT, how about
hot keys for CW speed, Alex? F11/F12 maybe? If we had instant control of CW
speed, then you could make the probability of a "LID" asking for a (or
another) repeat depend on how much faster your CW speed is than his and
introduce a bit of strategy (and realism) into how fast you choose to send
the exchange depending on the other station's CW speed.

Hey, based on recent experience that's probably already in the next version
even before I asked for it!

73,
Rich VE3IAY