[CQ-Contest] More contesting tips and tricks

Doug Smith W9WI w9wi at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 13 10:26:13 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 04:51, ah3c at frii.com wrote:
> Try this some time:
>
> It's Sunday morning and 20M is wide open.  The band is wall-to-wall with
> sudden stop in the middle of the CQ.  Now, this is your opportunity to
> make 2 Q's in the next minute.  Call CQ.  If you're lucky someone will
> come back to you before the big gun returns.  He will hear you in the
> middle of a qso and realize he hasn't worked you before.  He will likely
> wait for you to complete your Q and then call you for another S&P Q
> himself.  He now has just made 2 Q's, you have made 2 Q's, and if he is a
> true gentleman, he will look for another frequency to turn on his CQ
> machine again.

Please don't.

I would regard this as frequency theft - to be less civil but more
accurate, intentional QRM.  And I don't think it would be at all
unethical for the running station to return to the QRG and insist that
you leave.

A CQ may be interrupted for some reason other than SO2R.  Bumping the
paddle or hitting the wrong key on the keyboard, for two.

IMHO you should NEVER call CQ without asking whether the frequency is
occupied.

(at the same time, if you're running and fail to respond to a QRL?
request, IMHO you have surrendered your run frequency)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN  EM66