[CQ-Contest] DX signing /QRP in ARRL 10m contest

Eric Hilding dx35 at hilding.com
Mon Dec 13 11:23:12 EST 2004

Igor, UA9CDC wrote:

 > The big deal as I see it that /QRP is not part of the call. QRP
 > stations insisting on sending that unnecessary info while calling
 > someone therefore make it more difficult for the other side of the
 > QSO to copy call sign proper. I specially like when /QRP station is
 > asked for fill in keeps sending that /QRP many times.

/QRP Ops looking for "/QRP" on QSLs please note:

 > I never put /QRP into the log, I only put there call sign.

I think many people do the same thing.

 > I also never send "ua9cdc/QRO/ Tribander and wires"  when operating the
contest.

That is another reason why signing "/QRP" in a regular contest is a waste
of everyone's time, because...and here's the reality... NOBODY
CARES!  Contesters just want to make the QSO and move on!  And, "/QRP" is
*not* an official callsign component to begin with.

 > The idea is to keep exchange as short as possible in the contest. I am
 > also irritated by those who in the contest sends exchange like ".. R
 > R CFM TKS es GE OM de XX0XX ur NR 59900# 59900# pse HW? de XX0XX bk"
 > Such station steals my and others time and lowers my rate. So I am
 > trying to avoid them whenever possible.

You have, as others, hit the nail on the head precisely, Igor.  As a result
of this discussion thread, fortunately several QRP ops have now volunteered
now to help "educate" their fellow QRP peers that signing "/QRP" in a
contest is not a good idea, and benefits no one.  That was a hoped for
objective.

There was another 'subtle' message in my post of the DX Summit post which
may have been overlooked:

 >> KP4FP 28052.0 KP4KE/QRP 1930 11 Dec

"Interestingly":

KP4FP = Aguadilla DX & Contest Club (QTH: AGUADILLA, PR)
KP4KE = (QTH: AGUADILLA, PR)

No, I did not even call KP4KE/QRP because I decided to boycott "/QRP"
stations in my brief few hours in the contest...especially where there was
a remote possibility of what appeared to be "self-spotting" for a station
signing "/QRP" ;-(

73...

Rick, K6VVA