[CQ-Contest] More on contesting tips and tricks - not

Scott R. w4pa at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 14 09:29:36 EST 2004

W0MU:
>As far as I am concerned as soon as you stop using the frequency it is
>available to others.  This is a hazard of SO2R.  Running SO2R does not
>give you the right to hold anything thing because you are off making a
>qso someplace else.  You can't be at two place at once or so say the
>rules.

The point I was making is that a *good* SO2R operator is not going to
allow this to occur.  The W0RTT technique suggested was to listen for a
truncated CQ and try to steal, immediately, the SO2R ops run frequency
when you heard that happen.  We weren't discussing a 30 second gap
(which is another whole topic - what good SO2R operator lets their run
freq sit idle for that long?) - we were discussing an immediate attempt
to take a run frequency.  If I call CQ, and cut my CQ message off in
the middle, and someone else right away calls CQ on my run frequency,
by the time they have had the chance to say "CQ CONTEST Wxxxx" one
time, I am going to tell them the frequency is in use and call CQ
again.

When I call CQ, and stop, that is not an invitation for someone else to
immediately call CQ.  It *is* an invitation to call me for a QSO.
And if no one comes back, I am going to call CQ again.  This is
regardless of whether a second radio is in play or not.

This all changes if there is a long (30 second?) gap.  If you're SO2R,
and you leave your run frequency long enough for someone to ask if it
is in use, and then for that someone else to call CQ on it - you have
three options.  You can try to tell them the freq is in use - or
(failing that) you can try to run off the new station on that frequency
- or you can find a new run frequency.  Sometimes it might end up being
all three of those.

Scott W4PA