[CQ-Contest] VE7QH - SK

Paul Erickson va7nt at telus.net
Tue Dec 21 11:18:00 EST 2004

It is with great sadness that I report that Brian Langden - VE7QH is now
SK. I first met Brian in '96 when I was going to do my first field day
with the North Shore Amateur radio club (VE7NSR). That day marked 60
years to the day since Brian's first Field Day. It was always a joy to
hear his excellent cw. Brian had forgotten more about cw than I will
ever know. As an ex RAF intelligence officer, he was one of those who
could tell he was talking to the correct agent behind enemy lines by
their fist. It was also fun to hear him talk about the different accents
that different nationalities had . . . on cw. He recounted how he
overheard a couple of german fighter pilots talking on the radio, while
over the channel, and one of them mentioned a german ship down below
them. Soon thereafter, it was headed to the bottom. A dramatic example
of how "loose lips sink ships." He was a member of FOC, but was always
very patient with those of lesser ability, and was always ready to help
a newcomer. For many years he helped provide radio communication for the
Victoria - Maui yacht race.

He will be greatly missed.

cheers, Paul - VA7NT - email: va7nt at telus.net

"Those who hear not the music, think the dancers mad."