[CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

Eric Hilding p3 at hilding.com
Wed Dec 22 00:50:18 EST 2004

Kelly, VE4XT wrote:

 > If he doesn't, it's lost. I typically tune across what looks like a clear
 > frequency, listen for a second or two, dump a ? or QRL? and if I hear
 > nothing, F1 it is. What's wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing wrong...except:

When I operated as "DX" last Spring, after a food or shower break, I came
back on 20m looking for a "clear frequency".  After 20 to 30 M-I-N-U-T-E-S
of "QRL?" only to have LOUD W/K stations (also heard them concurrently on
15 meters) and LOUD Europeans tell me to move, I finally said to h*ll with
it and did the best I could to not end up zero beat with anyone.

Maybe it's 'cuz I'm a re-tread from the 60's when I seem to recall that
"DX" stations were in the driver's seat during a DX contest.  But if the
bands are being double-congested due to LOUD W/K SO2R stations, am I going
to waste a half an hour trying to bend over backwards  again?  No, No and
NO.  I will make a maximum of 5 attempts to find a clear frequency, and
continually shoo'd away by LOUD W/K SO2R stations, I will find *some* kind
of non-zero beat hole and get back to work.  Others will need to tighten up
their filtering, or shut off one of their TWO radios, 'cuz after 5 attempts
I'm calling CQ and it is NON-NEGOTIABLE.

Well, OK...maybe I'll make 7 attempts just to walk the extra mile.  But a
half-hour?  NO WAY, JOSE.

73...

Rick, K6VVA