[CQ-Contest] CQ tips and tricks - not

Boris Knezovic T93Y t93y at lol.ba
Sat Dec 25 12:08:25 EST 2004

> Umh, you mean disqualified for WASTING almost one-half hour trying to be
> a "Gentlemen"
> whilst my competitors were cranking out QSOs?  Not to mention, excessive
> wear and tear
> on the special "QRL?" external Macro button I configured *in
> anticipation* of USING IT (vs.
> simply spinning the VFO dial and Calling CQ)?  Not to mention visions of
> sitting there pushing
> the QRL? button for hours and hours ;-(
>
> I would be willing to bet that NOBODY ELSE operating as a DX station
> *EVER* went to
> such great lengths to try and avoid interfering with W/K or Euro
> stations in a "DX Contest".
>
> You will note that I specifically stated that I "did the best I could to
> not end up zero beat
> with anyone.  Maybe you missed that part?  Just because some SO2R
> stations would
> like to have a clear 2Khz wide spot on TWO band dials, doesn't mean they
> will get it.
>
> And when I spend money to go back to a DX locale, for a "DX" Contest, I
> am not willing to
> be held hostage by W/K/Euro SO2R stations using up TWO channel
> allocations when the
> laws of equitable distribution suggest that everyone should be entitled
> to at least ONE channel.
>
> No, life is not fair, but come on now...SO2R does NOT guarantee anyone
> the right to the private,
> exclusive use of TWO frequencies and wide-open filtering in a DX
> contest.  Period.
>
> Will I continue to make sincere efforts to use my special "QRL?" key,
> attempt to be a Gentleman
> and in a spirit of fairness diligently try not to step on anyone?  Yes,
> Yes, and YES.  But will I
> take it in the shorts like last time?  No, No and NO.
>
> FYI, I will copy in Dan Henderson at the ARRL.  If he, and/or the ARRL
> Contest Committee would
> like to disqualify me for DILIGENT ATTEMPTS TO NOT CAUSE INTERFERENCE
> beyond what I
> believe to be extremely reasonable efforts as stated, so be it.
>
> 73...
>
> Rick, K6VVA
>
> P.S. No, I will NOT "Blacklist" your call from my next CONTEST-Pedition :-)

Eric,

It is very interesting to see OH2AQ database of spots for KP2CW in ARRL
DX Contest (I guess this is the contest you are talking about) which
says that highest frequency you were operating was at .041.9kHz from the
bottom of the band. Since all other operating frequencies were around
.025kHz, if you were trying to squeeze yourself in there as described
above then you at least violated norms of what we call HAM Spirit...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

73's Boris T93Y
--
Boris Knezovic T93Y, P.O. Box 59, Sarajevo BA-71000, Bosnia and Herzegovina
E-mail: t93y at lsinter.net or boris at t93y.com
WEB Page: http://www.t93y.com