[CQ-Contest] Re: Antennae Advice - Tribanders

Dan Levin djl at andlev.com
Tue Dec 28 13:33:32 EST 2004

> To the group, I am new to this group.I am one of those
> "small pistols" in contests... I presently have an old Mosely TA-33
> at 35 feet,Rohn 25G tower,Alliance HD-73 rotor.

Welcome!  Remember, without guys like you, the big guns
have no fun!

I'd suggest replacing the Mosely (pre-computer design
and traps, if I remember correctly) with either
a Force 12 C-3 type (C-3E or C-3SS, depending on space
constraints) or a SteppIR 2 element.  Both are fine
antennae, computer designed, with excellent mechanical
and RF performance.  Neither are cheap :-)

I used a C-3E for years as my primary antenna, and was very
happy with it.  I replaced it with a C-3SS as my second
radio antenna, and was very happy with that.  Now I run
a 2 element SteppIR as my second radio tri-bander, and I
am very happy with that :-)  You really can't go wrong with
either antenna - and they will both do well on your current
tower.

I would think that anything larger, certainly a Skyhawk,
Force 12 C-19XR, SteppIR 3 element type antenna might
be a problem on your current tower.  Actually, to be clear,
I think it would be a problem for your rotor.  35' of
Rohn 25, if properly installed, can easily handle one of
these larger antennae.  If the tower is guyed, has a good
base, and you are willing to step up to a bigger rotor,
any one of those larger beams would be a nice improvement.

Best 73 es GL!

                  ***dan, K6IF