[CQ-Contest] Re: [RTTY] Data conversion Need an extrta port?

Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 faunt at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 16:35:58 EST 2004

This is the IC that the RigExpert uses to provide a complete digital
mode interface on a USB port.  It only works with MixW and DigiPan
currently, but we can hope for MMTTY support.

73, doug

   From: "Dave Bernstein" <aa6yq at ambersoft.com>
   Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:18:17 -0500

   The second paragraph of the section you mention says

   "The project in this article is based on the FT8U245AM device
   manufactured by FTDI Ltd in Scotland, (www.ftdichip.com).  This chip
   comes as a 32 pin surface mount MQFP miniature package. To work, the
   chip only requires a 6MHz crystal, some passives and the USB socket,
   Fig3. The chip interfaces to an external microprocessor via an 8 bit
   parallel port and four read write and control lines. From the micro's
   point of view, the FT245 chip looks like a 384 byte FIFO buffer for
   transmit, and a 128 byte FIFO buffer on receive. The FT245 works in the
   full USB speed mode and can transfer data at around 1 Megabyte per
   second."

   While the Windows driver supplied with the FT8U245AM does emulate a
   serial port, you'd need an appropriately-programmed PIC or some other
   embedded microprocessor with a built-in UART to create a PC-accessible
   serial port. That's a little more involved than "you can use an USB port
   as a serial port".

       73,

	   Dave, AA6YQ