[CQ-Contest] Dealing with eBay

Walter O'Brien / W2WJO w2wjo at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 22:49:29 EST 2004

I won't comment on why or whether ebay should or shouldn't filter ads,
some would construe it as a free speech issue, BUT I can say from a
number of years worth of experience with eBay and protecting the rights
of recording artists in the music industry, eBay was VERY, VERY
RESPONSIVE whenever we found illegal or bootleg material on any of our
artists. If you, or me, or anyone in the ham community finds illegal
stuff being sold on ebay, especially considering your post specifying
what they forbid, they will probably pull the item within MINUTES -
they always did for us.

Prohibited items isn't as simple as when you are, or represent, the
owner of "intellectual property" or copyrights, but Mike is right - go
to that link, there is even a place to send them an email reporting the
violation! Believe it or not, they'd quicker pull something than go
through the headaches of being found to allow illegal sales.

As with most things like this, it's up to those who complain the most
to get out and do something about it.... if we all keep an eye on it,
and it will decrease.

73 Walter W2WJO