[CQ-Contest] 67 spots

AB2E Darrell ab2e at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 24 00:09:39 EST 2004

Greetings Ken and the group,
I recall seeing a number of spots which include a note for the op's club,
especially if it's a dxpedition. This seems to occur frequently, so is it
bad, I'm not sure...it seems like it's happening frequently therefore no
real advantage whether a dxpedition gets called out 275 or 300 times during
the weekend. I don't know if the large number of spots is out of line for 1
station to be called out. I would say it depends on how many other stations
got called out by the same op. If I am S&Ping, I call out EVERYTHING I hear
up or down the band. This helps the guys who like the work all the Qs up and
down the band. While doing this, I will probably hear the Dxpedition multis
more frequently than I would a single op calling CQ on 1 band, so I would
think it's natural for a multi to be called out let's say 6 times as
frequently as an ordinary station, since the station is potentially on 6
bands at once.

I don't think excessive callouts, per se, are harmful so long as the op is
also calling out everything else they hear, then it is just part of the
nature of the contest packet system. I think what is a worse offense are the
several ops caught by K1TTT and other node operators who apparently log in
under ficticious callsigns and proceed to call out their friend 100s of
times during the contest, using a fake IP address and the sort, and are not
contributing to any other spot callouts during the contest except their
friend. The latter clearly crosses the line on the rules, while the former
makes it a lot harder to establish a line I think.

Just my two cents,
73 Darrell AB2E