[CQ-Contest] CQ pattern in contest - what's your vote?

Tim Makins, EI8IC contesting at eircom.net
Thu Feb 26 18:58:04 EST 2004

I believe that time is wasted with 'CQ TEST DE W7DRA W7DRA TEST', because
subconsciously or not, ending the transmission with 'test' or callsign does
not give the receiving operator 100% assurance that you are about to start
listening. If you tune across a signal, and hear either a callsign or the
word 'test', what does that tell you ? Nothing definitely - you will wonder
if more is coming. The only way to be indicate your intentions 100% is with
the use of 'K'. I also like the use of 'DE', as it tells the listener that
what follows is the callsign - no quibble or question about it.

So, my money goes on: TEST DE W7DRA W7DRA K

73s Tim EI8IC
www.qsl.net/ei8ic
The home of the Global Overlay Mapper
Read the Dec'03 QST review online.