[CQ-Contest] Nice "Anti-BPL" article in the local paper

Jim White, K4OJ k4oj at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Jan 6 19:17:24 EST 2004

The Tampa Tribune ran an article on January 5th with a big two page
photo of power lines and the megapoint font headline reading: "Power To
Interfere?"

I do not know the ham interviewed/pictured in the article - his call was
not mentioned -  but it looks like he is an ARRL field service guy from
the photo as there appears to be an ARRL badge next to his computer
monitor...

I was glad to see that my power company TECO (Tampa Electric) is not
interested in BPL, although there are several providers of AC around the
state including FP&L (Fla. Power and Light) that are going with BPL
trials...

The article mentions how FEMA is opposed to BPL... I think this is the
biggest thing hams have going for them in this battle... FEMA is on
everyone's lips these days, and certainly "volunteer" amateur radio
cannot do battle with the wealthy power companies and their stock
holders who are seeking to turn existing power lines into money conduits
for a not so state of the art internet access potential... and the big
losers being hams and other HF communications enthusiasts and interests
who will suffer the QRM!

Check out the test from the article at:

http://tampatrib.com/Business/MGALZEAO1PD.html

73, HNY