[CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

Bob Naumann - N5NJ n5nj at gte.net
Tue Jan 13 07:16:07 EST 2004

Tom,

I've heard this type of phenomena a couple of times from N2RM on 15m.

I don't know what caused the "reflection" of my signal back, but the time I=
 heard it the most at N2RM - was maybe 10 years ago or so.  It was so clear=
, I also thought it was someone playing my CQ message back to me.  Then I s=
tarted saying different things, stopping short, and all of those sounds cam=
e back very clearly too.  I had others in the shack listen to it to confirm=
 what I was hearing.  =

It was an emotional experience to hear this unusual phenomena.

As I recall, this occured when the conditions were very, very good.  It als=
o was late in the afternoon, when Europe was in darkness, and fairly regula=
rly, we would continue to work Europeans nonetheless with N2RM's 4x4x4x4 ar=
ray from his excellent location.  =

I attributed it to having low noise, lots of gain in the antenna system, an=
d that without those benefits, I speculated we probably would not have hear=
d it.

Certainly curious for sure.

73,
Bob N5NJ

> From: TOMK5RC at aol.com
> To: cq-contest at contesting.com
> Date: Mon, Jan-12-2004 10:25 AM
> Subject: [CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness
> =

> AD6E and I both experienced a very weird phenomena during the first hour =
of =

> CW NAQP on 10M. For a number of QSO's, the contest exchange just sent cam=
e back =

> as a very loud received signal, most of the time covering up the station =

> being worked. Not only was there CW, but very loud background noise, soun=
ding like =

> PLL phase noise.
> =

> I thought it was someone at the end of my driveway with an old Kenwood ra=
dio =

> sending the exchange I just sent. In retrospect the CW and the noise may =
have =

> been from someone making a tape recording (or .wav recording) and playing=
 it =