[CQ-Contest] 10M NAQP Weirdness

Zack Widup w9sz at prairienet.org
Tue Jan 13 22:56:32 EST 2004

I have seen several theories for LDE's. The most plausible was a Ph.D.
thesis done at Cal Tech, I believe, back in the mid-70's. I wish I had a
copy of it.  A fellow grad student in radio science at the University of
Illinois lent me the paper to study while I was working on my Masters in
that subject.

The theory was an EM wave coupling into a slowly moving mechanical
(acoustic) wave in the ionosphere under the proper conditions.  The theory
involved much plasma physics and the "proper conditions" involved a
magnetic anomaly.  The acoustic wave would travel a considerable distance
at a much slower velocity than that of light and then re-couple back into
an E-M wave.

The student who wrote the thesis did extensive testing to attempt to
verify his theory and actually produced quite a bit of evidence to back
it up. He measured quite a few LDE's under the conditions he specified
would produce them.  I believe the student was also a ham.

I thought that was a much more realistic theory than LDE's as a result of
reflections from the earth's Lagrange points, which could also have some
remote possibility of occurring.

Then again, [joke] it could be a chronosynclastic infundibulum.  :-)

73, Zack W9SZ