[CQ-Contest] Re: QSL collecting

zl1aih at ihug.co.nz zl1aih at ihug.co.nz
Sat Jan 17 20:03:55 EST 2004

Hi all,
I must support both Kirk K4RO and Rin JG1VGX for sending QSL cards - OK
I know that many of us don't need or even care about QSL cards, but what
contesters need to remember is that if you get a QSL card from a contest
QSO, please reply with your card - it just might be an introduction to a
prospective contester, and we surely need new entrants - without interested
and keen candidates, the activity will die.

At a club meeting, when giving a talk about contesting (particularly about the
elecraft K2 and QRP), I was asked "How about the calls from non-contesters
who just want to participate, maybe work a bit of rare DX, or just get their
feet wet?"
I responded, 'Contesters depend entirely on non-contesters/casual
contesters for most of their points - if they had to rely on regular contesters
for QSOs, most contest activity would dry up within 24 hours.'
00
We need casual participants - let's encourage them.
73, Ken ZL1AIH