[CQ-Contest] Re: Feb 04 QST op-ed article

Ward Silver hwardsil at centurytel.net
Sat Jan 17 10:45:17 EST 2004

>> Why NOT limit contests on 20M to below 14.297?
>
> That would work fine for smaller contests like the Sprint,
> NAQP, state QSO parties, etc. Of course one can argue
> that these contests already do this on their own naturally
> (activity tends to cluster around the sponsors suggested
> frequency range). In high activity contests like CQ WW,
> ARRL DX, SS Phone, etc I don't think its a workable idea.
> Their just isn't enough room for everyone even when the
> whole phone band is used. What we need is an STA
> from the FCC to use 14.350 to 14.700 on contest
> weekends (lotsa luck, right?). Another variation on this
> approach which I have never seen proposed before
> would be to come up with a dynamic bandplan. In a big
> contest like CQ WW Phone, with static bandplans fixed
> by regulation, the bottom 150 KHz of 20 meters remains
> lightly used while hundreds of stations fight it out for a
> frequency in the top 150 KHz of the band. This is not
> a very efficient use of spectrum. With this scheme, CW
> and Digital operators enjoy a large contest-free zone
> which is probably larger than what they need, while
> non-contest phone operators are left with nothing in the
> way of a contest-free zone. A better solution would be
> to change the bandplan on big contest weekends so
> that some of the bottom 150 KHz was reallocated for
> SSB operation. This would provide a little extra room
> for the contest (which is badly needed) and some space
> for contest-free phone operation.
>
> Since our signals don't respect international boundaries
> with the associated myriad sovereign regulatory bodies,
> this kind of thing would have to be coordinated by the IARU.

Actually, this would NOT have to be coordinated by the IARU.  As it stands,
most countries have phone privileges that extend below the US phone
allocations on 20, 15, and 10 meters.  The only thing that would be required
is a Special Temporary Authorization (STA) by the FCC that A3J emissions
would be allowed as low as 14.100, 21.100, and 28.100 MHz by General,
Advanced, and Extra Class licensees for a fifty-hour period beginning two
hours before contest time and ending along with the contest.  The
expectation would be that  U.S. contesters would then avoid the 14.300-350
and 21.350-450 MHz segments. (10-meters just gets more breathing room - not
much a problem these days.)

I consider it unlikely, but it is an innovative idea.

As I see it, the major problem with contest-free zones on the bands is that
it effectively creates contest-only zones elsewhere, obliterating any chance
of operations by non-contesters due to the increased band loading.  Whereas
now, I do hear non-contest QSOs being carried on between contester
frequencies.  I'm not sure that compressing contest activity will do
anything but antagonize a different set of people.

That's not to say any frequency is fair game.  Avoiding the major service
net frequencies, such as 14.300 MHz, is an important bit of courtesy.
Listening first to avoid "willful interference" is also important.  Be
willing to accomodate reasonable requests by the non-contesters goes a long
way towards getting courteous treatment ourselves.

73, Ward N0AX