[CQ-Contest] Yanks in domestic contests: Please learn a bit about your neighbours

Jim Rhodes k0xu at iowadsl.net
Sun Jan 18 16:45:55 EST 2004

I always just try to log it as sent. However, if what I am sent is not
correct, you can't blame me. I have been sent all of the variants in
different contests. But since these guys are presumably Canadian, who am I
to argue with what they send. So if a "LB" or "NF" finds its way into my
log it is not due to MY ignorance.

At 01:14 AM 1/18/04, Dave wrote:
>"Americans are amiably ill-informed about Canada, while Canadians are
>irritably well-informed about the United States."
>
>This old chestnut is played out as truth every time I get on in a
>US-organised domestic contest.  I always run into people whose profound
>ignorance about us, their neighbours, irritates the bejeebers out of me:
>- Some whinge that their software does not recognise what multiplier I am (I
>can't fix your software from here)
>- Some ask me what "providence" I am in (the word is "province!")
>- Some try to tell me that they know better that I where I am located ("No,
>no, no - VO1 is New Brunswick!")
>- Some just guess wildly when they have trouble ("My software doesn't
>understand NL, so I'll just put in "NS.")
>And it makes it a drag for me to hand out a multiplier you want to work.

Jim Rhodes K0XU
jim at rhodesend.net