[CQ-Contest] Feb 04 QST op-ed article

WA7VNI wa7vni at dayshaw.net
Mon Jan 19 12:45:56 EST 2004

Joe,

Please read what I wrote. The ONLY thing I criticized was
the "wealthy Yachtsman" statement. I even snipped the other
stuff out to try and ensure that was clear. I just don't
think that such broad generalizations or stereotypes are in
our best interests.

Regarding the new issue you have interjected, their
"quasi-commercial" activities, I agree. SOME do that and it
is clearly illegal. However, I have also heard the Net
Control stations reprimand and then send stations away to
the Marine SSB channels when they have tried to pass traffic
that was of a commercial nature. So some of those folks do
try and "self-police" their users in compliance with both
the letter and spirit of the law.

The folks I know all use the SailMail service via the Marine
SSB channels for email because 1) it's legal, 2) it's cheap,
and 3) it's actually more reliable than the Ham band
equivalents. Their Ham band activities are restricted to
position reports, exchanging weather information, medical
information and other "health and welfare" type traffic all
of which are acceptable under Part 97. Do SOME violate the
law, sure just like SOME contesters behave badly without
regard for others or the law.

I just think that we would be better off basing our defense
(as others have noted) on facts and data, meaning numbers
backed by documented objective evidence, rather than angry
rhetoric. I'd just rather not see us stoop to using the same
emotional arguments that some in the anti-contest community
use. I recognize that "The Amateur's Code" is long dead but
it just seems to me that numbers are far easier to defend
than emotion in cases like this.

73
Patrick
WA7VNI