[CQ-Contest] Op-Ed

Grillo's ah3c at frii.com
Tue Jan 20 18:26:28 EST 2004

It was during the 1973 ARRL DX contest that I intercepted an emergency message from Guatemala and started a chain of events I am proud to say the contest fraternity honored by their maintaining open the emergency frequency we spontaneously created in the middle of the 20 meter phone band.  It got front page coverage in the LA times because Richard Nixon had a hand in authorizing shipment of a rare medicine via Travis Air Force Base support to the ailing victim who survived the incident.

The article is framed and is posted in my shack as a continuing reminder of how important our skills can be in an emergency.

Needless to say, my score did suffer that year!

73 to all,
Pete
W0RTT