[CQ-Contest] Re: CQ-Contest] K2 and contesting - Impressions?

VR2BrettGraham vr2bg at harts.org.hk
Wed Jan 21 01:38:23 EST 2004

N4GI contributed:

>I've had a K2/100 in the shack for a couple of months now with my MP, and
>have operated a a few contests.  Some observations:
>
>- SWR foldback is wicked agressive, the rig chokes on my ICE 419's.  The SWR
>is about 1.7:1 in the 20M position on both of my units and while the MP
>doesn't care, the K2 always cuts its power WAY back.  I'll have to open up
>the filter and mess with the coils to fix.

Same here with Dunestars & I remember sweeping them once & they looked
reasonable.  However, with the fold back I'm still able to get enough drive
for my
amps.

Speaking of drive for amps, the ramping of output power on first
transmission after
a band change is a little annoying, especially when power level control was
left in
wrong position for the amount of drive needed on that band (supposedly will be
toned down in firmware out shortly).

I also notice power level fluctuations over time which apparently a mod
will bring
down to a reasonable amount (if you are using an 8877 amp, be careful!).

>- Having the DOT of the keying line equal PTT is a real disaster when
>setting up a 2radio switch box.  I've yet to do a SSB contest fully 2radio
>until I figure out a way to fix it.

This is really annoying!

This particular item was just mentioned on the Elecraft list & I still have
yet to
get my head around whatever it is that makes this feature so good... if the
TUNE button isn't good enough, jam something in the key jack & short that
to get
a carrier...

If you follow the DOT/PTT line around the schematic, it looks like this
might be
able to be dealt with by firmware, as the line basically goes straight to
an MCU.

More noise from the contest community might get this considered for a future
firmware release.

>- I'm having a bear of a time getting my sound card to drive the rig.  The
>Proset Plus does fine.  Again, no 2R SSB till I get this fixed (without
>messing up the drive of the MP... any suggestions?)

A DVP which was used with an MP/Proset seems to drive my K2 okay (MP
mic gain at 10 o'clock or so).  Unlike the compression ratios, it looks like
there isn't an easy way to do this on the SSB board without adding a small
preamp.

>- The menu interface is going to take some learning on my part, specially in
>the heat of action.  I'm working on putting N4PY's software to work with
>Writelog to help out with that.

Be careful when working split - the K2 is good at making you look like a lid if
you're used to the MP.

I find that programming A/B, XFIL & AFIL front panel button equivalents as
function keys in TRlog to be very handy.  This is also the way to clear the
RIT as
the current K2 firmware can't clear the RIT with the customary embedded
"clear" character in a memory.

>- I prefer the k2 RX to that of my MP, and I like the fact that it has a
>sound that isn't to "different" from my MP.  I found that I got fatigued
>fast while listening to an Icom in one ear and the MP in the other

I concur & would imagine it would be even better with some INRADs in there.

I think the original query also asked about RTTY - one must be sure to set the
BFOs/filters up correctly, otherwise you will transmit in one place &
receive in
another & depending on BFO range of a particular K2, it may not be possible
to set the BFO up to place the traditional high mark/space tones within the
passband (mine can't go narrower than 1.2 kc on 18 Mc or below - workaround
is DIG-REV mode & flip the TU/TNC or use soundcard/program & use different
tones altogether).

Otherwise, a great rig that you can work on (important here).  The receiver is
quite impressive (I can almost throw a rock from my roof & hit the antennas
of VR2PX & VR2MY) & Elecraft in general is a refreshing change (example:
key click mod that will be out soon).  Biggest regret so far was buying a
second-
hand one & only getting to build the 160m & DSP modules.  ;^)

73, VR2BrettGraham