[CQ-Contest] DX Participation in NAQP Contests

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Wed Jan 21 17:49:29 EST 2004

Hello all:

I have a very small rule change to suggest for NAQP (North American QSO
Party) contests beginning in 2005.  At present, all stations are limited
to 100 watts.  I propose that the 100-watt limit not apply to stations
outside North America other than Hawaii, which is treated as a US state
and not DX.

We don't get a lot of DX (outside North America) participation in NAQP
contests, but we get some.  Some DX stations enjoy working US stations
and try to participate.  However, with the 100-watt power limit, if DX
stations want to make many QSOs, they have to exceed the power limit
(see claimed score of VK2CZ for February 2004 SSB contest).  Therefore,
the only practical choice for them to enjoy the contest is just to
submit a checklog or no log at all.

The same is true for some of the DX sprints.  I entered the Asian
Pacific Sprint this past fall, but was unable to work any AP stations
with just 100 watts, so I ran the amplifier and worked a few.  They were
all whisper strength here with their 100 watts and none would have heard
me with 100 watts.  I have suggested to Tack, JH1CKA, that this rule be
changed for the AP Sprints to allow DX stations to run their full legal
limit and make a few contacts into the AP area.

As the sunspot cycle declines, this limitation will be more or a
handicap than it has been for the past few years.  There are no real
awards for DX stations who do participate--just recognition in the
results.  There should be no additional expense involved in
administering the contests with this minor rule change.

I'd like to see more DX stations enter the NAQP contests (and more DX
stations in the AP and Eu Sprints too).  It seems to me this change
would make the contests more enjoying for all participants.  Maybe I'd
sponsor a plaque for the high combined CW and SSB score for stations
outside North America if the rule is changed.  That might bring out even
more DX stations if the rule is changed.  If the rule is not changed, I
doubt a plaque would bring much more participation.  If DX participation
does not increase, the rule could be changed back to 100 watts for DX
stations too.

It might be particularly interesting to hear from contesters outside
North America.  I know a number have good naturedly complained that they
cannot participate in our Sweepstakes contests that cover the bands two
weekends in November; yet not many participate in NAQP contests.  Maybe
some have had the same reaction to the NAQP contests that I have had
with Eu and AP sprints where I am limited to 100 watts trying to work
stations who are running 100 watts and working other low power stations
near to them.

73,

John, K4BAI.