[CQ-Contest] DX Participation in NAQP Contests

David Burger DavidB at facilities.usyd.edu.au
Fri Jan 23 15:46:26 EST 2004

The NAQP for DX stations has few rewards, as we are not even a multiplier -
unlike FLqsop or CAqsop where stations are allowed 1 or 3 DX countries as a
mult.  OK I did use 400w, but I expect the few stations I contacted were not
active in the NAQP anyway, and also running high power.  US/VE hams are very
obliging about handing out a number or name.  I dare say people who do not
send in a log in the NAQP could just be chatting with high power and
'helping-out'.

I did operate the Asia Pacific (SSB) Sprint from Kuala Lumpur (9M2RPN) with
100w in 2002 to be placed 4th overall, but the few US stations in that log
were typically 3by1 reports. It is only the rolling nature of the Sprint
that gave US hams even half a shot.   I did have a try at the A-P Sprint
from here in Sydney in 2003, but it was a lost cause with impossible
propagation from VK in that 2 hour window.

It is reward enough to get into any NA logs from this side of the Pacific -
especially on 10m with an 8ele monobander, 65' long - with a clear view of
the Pacific Ocean.

Cheers VK2CZ
David Burger
SYDNEY,  Australia