[CQ-Contest]re: NAQP and the (midwest)(south)east coast

TOMK5RC at aol.com TOMK5RC at aol.com
Fri Jan 23 20:41:34 EST 2004

Time out gang. As one of the fathers of the NAQP, we invented it to replace
the ARRL CD Parties both as a training ground for new contesters and to give us
all an opportunity to compete with the best of the best without the baggage
and pressure of an international contest or a nationally ranked SS.

I am delighted that it is so popular. I love it and changing the groundrules
at this point would be counterproductive. There are enough venues for W vs DX
or Everyone vs Everyone.

As far as any geographic advantage, there is always some perceived advantage
that is commonly shattered in every contest. From Nevada, I see a distinct
advantage for the Southern California and Arizona guys because they are south and
east of us (yes, east, look at a map). I also don't understand why there
seems to be a geographic advantage in Oregon and Washington. Oh, wait, maybe its
operator skill and hardware. So what, I get in there and give it my best shot
every time. Also, if you look at the top ten claimed in the last NAQP SSB
There's a 9 and a 5 in the top ten and all the top NCCC guys are in the second ten.
Definitely not a clear advantage for anyone.

Get over it. Compete with yourself and your local gang.

Tom, K5RC
aka W7RN