[CQ-Contest] Comments on other NAQP rule suggestions

Dean Wood dwood at cisco.com
Fri Jan 23 19:00:56 EST 2004

1. I disagree that restricting NAQP teams to a 500 mile circle would
create more participation.  In fact, I believe this restriction would
decrease participation, not increase it.  Let's take a recent World Wide
Young Contesters (WWYC) entry as an example:
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/CQ-Contest/2003-08/msg00250.html

The existing NAQP team rules allowed five young contesters
geographically distant (TX, Argentina, PA, SC, IN) to have a lot of fun
as a team effort.  I think it's fair to say that none of them would have
been as active as they were if they couldn't have formed this team.  Why
would we want to reduce this participation and eliminate this type of
team by introducing distance restrictions in NAQP?  I hope NAQP teams
continue to be free of distance boundaries.  NAQP and Sprint teams are a
fun alternative to the traditional ARRL and CQ club competition
restrictions.

I think it's great that ZF2NT was a part of his home contest club's team
entry.  I'm sure everyone appreciated his multiplier and QSOs in NAQP
CW.  If KE3Q operated at WP3R for NAQP, I would expect him to be on his
contest club's team (PVRC) or any other team he wanted to join.

2. Regarding >100W for non-NA stations in NAQP, it's my sense that this
wouldn't change non-NA participation much.  Pointing your beam at these
stations would solve the problem if you want to work more non-NA
stations in NAQP.  The difference in F/B or F/S would be quite a bit
more than the non-NA station going from 100W to 400W.  If you want to
work other continents, point at them.  You could even power split
between two antennas if you have that luxury.  The non-NA stations will
surely appreciate the increase in your signal strength.  If you want to
work NA and mults, then point to NA.  We don't need a rules change for
this concept.  Few NA DX mults are active in NAQP.  We should address
how to increase participation in NA DXCC entities before focusing on
non-NA entities.

73...
-Dean - N6DE