[CQ-Contest] NAQP WEST/SOUTH/EAST etc.

Robert Shohet kq2m at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 26 18:48:53 EST 2004

W1 and W8 at a "slight" disadvantage in the NAQP SSB?    I DON'T THINK SO!

When a statement this silly is made then it is definitely time for some
meaningful discussion!

1) The disparity between W1/W8 and other areas is exacerbated during HIGHER
RATE contests, which means NAQP SSB score disparities are greater than NAQP
CW.

Why?

  A) More guys operate SSB than CW and
  B) Most people talk faster than send CW and
  C) Loud guys on SSB get better and clearer frequencies to work other loud
guys as compared to some
      W1 who is maybe S3 on backscatter when trying to work all the other S3
North East guys that W4,
      W5, W6, and some other areas may be hearing S9++.  Guess who gets to
run lots of guys on a pretty
      clear frequency?  It sure isn't the W1!  This disadvantage is LESS on
CW as compared to SSB.
  D) Rates are MUCH higher for the 10 hour period in NAQP SSB vs NAQP CW..

The math is real simple.  The bigger the advantage you have x 10 hours, the
bigger the difference in score.

NAQP SSB has much higher rates than NAQP CW so any propagation advantage x
HIGHER rate, means a LARGER difference in score.

Compare the average of the Top-Ten NAQP SSB scores vs. the Top-Ten W1/W8
scores.

Then compare the average of the Top-Ten NAQP CW scores vs. the Top-Ten W1/W8
scores.

I am willing to bet that over a few years,  the W1/W8 areas are much closer
to the top score in NAQPCW as compared to NAQPSSB.  Perhaps someone already
has calculated this and can post this info.

I am equally sure that if the level of activity in NAQP CW increases
dramatically, and/or everyone QRS's then the Top Ten NAQP SSB guys will find
a way to increase their score that much more during NAQP CW as compared to
W1/W8.

The same disparity holds true in a DX contest.

If my CQWW DX SSB European run rate goes from 60/hr to 100/hour x 20 hours
of run does the W6 top score get closer or further away from my score?
1-year anomalies aside, the West Coast score clearly suffers by comparison.

Am I complaining about the score disparities between W1 and other areas in
NAQP?  NOT AT ALL!  It is what it is and that's just fine.  Some day when
K4XS or N6NF or whomever makes 2,000 q's in NAQP SSB, I will be even more
amazed and appreciative of their score then, than I am now, even if the top
W1 is left even further in the dust.

But I just can't imagine how it is possible for anyone to even think that
W1/W8 is only at a slight score disadvantage in NAQPSSB compared to other
areas of the country!  The numbers tell the story!

73
Bob KQ2M