[CQ-Contest] Re: Recruiting women into contesting

Corliss Kimmel al1g_ak at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 28 18:54:14 EDT 2004

I was naturally drawn to contesting in that I am not much of a rag chewer.  I always enjoyed the fast paced, "exchange reports and move on" type of operating more than getting into long QSOs.  That is my personality type. I'm not much of a big talker in person either!

I started with a Kenwood TS-870 barefoot and an R-7 vertical and practiced learning how to contest.  I would read about upcoming contests, find out what the report was and then get on the air during the contest.

 What really got me going to a higher level was being invited to contest at a "big gun" station (thank you Dan, KL7Y, R.I.P.).  Suddenly I was there in the middle of the multi/multi action with very experienced operators.  It was awesome!  I learned a great deal about contesting from that experience, and was later pleased to be invited back again.

Corliss - AL1G