[CQ-Contest] Recruiting women into contesting

wd0t tdravland at pie.midco.net
Wed Jul 28 19:12:58 EDT 2004

Mark,

I generally agree with you that men enjoy competition more than women do.
BUT, that said, my wife is VERY competitive in all that she does, and she
wants to do well at it, e.g. couples golf. We play in the state tournaments
and a variety of others, and she loves to do that, and not just because I
do, but for her own satisfaction.  However, she has NO interest in
competitive radio operations, even though she has talked on the radio and
understands what is going on with contesting and is supportive of my
activities.  I am not sure what the difference is, other than she can see
other folks face to face golfing and interact with them (more social),
whereas for the most part radio contesting you will not ever see the party
you are working.  I really need to ask her directly for her answer.

Anyhow, guess this is a long winded way of saying I don't have the answer
for bringing women into contesting.

73, Todd
WD0T