[CQ-Contest] radio recommendations

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Tue Jun 1 22:16:12 EDT 2004

I have owned lots of contest radios in the past 30 years, including the TS-830, TS-930 series. I do not think these radios represent the best value for the $ invested.
The TS-930S is not computer controllable without a substantial modification.

I feel one of the very best bargains in high performance (great receiver performance) contest/dx radios is the Icom IC-765. Take a look at Rob Sherwood's receiver test
page and also look at the  765 QST review. A few of the well documented 765 mods are recommended. The Icom service and parts people have always been VERY helpful.  The
Icom reflector on qth.net is super! The 765 is a tremendous value used at less than $900.00.

Having had recent bad experiences with other high end radio manufactures, the K3LR station is 100% Icom with IC-781s and IC-765s.

73!
Tim K3LR

http://www.k3lr.com