[CQ-Contest] radio recommendations

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Jun 2 02:19:19 EDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Didonna, Richard" <RDiDonna at wrf.com>

> Wow...TS-830S.  Tube rigs are quickly becoming a thing of the past.
>
> I always was very comfortable with the TS-930S with CW filters and the
auto tuner.  Excellent performing radio and readily available for less than
$1000 these days.

> Rich KI6ZH/4

Ironically, while a dinosaur of sorts in terms of ergonomics and
features, the TS-830S is much better than most in terms transmit
SSB IMD performance (many of the newer rigs really stink in this
area). The 830 also ranks fairly high in terms of receiver closed
spaced IMD performance (at least with the YK88 filter):

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

If it were me, I would probably take K3LR's advice. The few
times I have had occasion to use the IC-765, I was duly
impressed that it was a good radio for the money. I have
heard others echo Tim's sentiments. A second choice might
be a high serial number TS-940S with a PIEXX computer
interface board installed (easy modification), but be forwarned
that serial numbers under 909xxxx can have problems with
bad ROM sockets the digital board. There is a fairly easy but
somewhat annoying fix for this that requires removing the 24
pin ROM DIP socket and soldering the ROM directly to the
board. Really early 940s had aweful transmit phase noise.
I think this got fixed on later models.