[CQ-Contest] Paintball gun

Pat N8VW n8vw at linuxcolumbus.com
Wed Jun 2 21:21:39 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 10:31:51AM -0500, Ron Feutz wrote:
> Just read K5LXP's antenna launcher article
> http://www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/Launcher/Launcher.html and was wondering
> if anyone has tried using a paintball gun for the same purpose?

That is way over engineered.

> It seems it would be a matter of designing the right size projectile and
> mounting a reel.

It is simpler than that and cheaper too!

> Any thoughts?

I use a very simple method here.  A 1 ounce sinker, a spool of 20lb test
fishing line (left on the plastic spool, not on a fishing reel), and a
wrist-rocket type slingshot.  Lay the spool on the ground in front of you,
make sure the fishing line runs over the top of the hand you are holding
the slingshot with and through the Y.  Pull back and launch the line over
your object of desire.

Doing it this way eliminates any snagging problem and the line feeds out
very fast.  The spool never leaves the ground.  K5KG mentioned having the
line snap back and breaking a finger.  I've never had the sinker snap back
anywhere near my body using this method.

I've been able to get ropes up over the top of my trees in 1 shot.  50-60'
is no problem with this method and a couple of times I used a bit to much
force and probably sent the line up 100+ feet before it came down.

I usually pull some small nylon rope and use the small rope to pull the
bigger rope.  I have just used the fishing line if I'm in a hurry.
Unless it gets snagged in the vee of a branch, I've had no problems doing
it that way either.  Just be prepared for the fishing line to snap if you
pull to hard.

My neighbors always ask how I get those ropes up in the trees.  I just
smile and flex my arm... ;)

Pat N8VW

August 28, the Ohio Qso Party, be there.  http://www.oqp.us