[CQ-Contest] radio recommendations - SUMMARY

Robert Katz rob.katz at thelegacycenter.com
Fri Jun 4 16:53:40 EDT 2004

Thanks to all of you who shared your experience so generously.  Here
is a summary of the recommendations I received.  There was some great
information, links and ideas as well, so if anybody wants the "raw
data", just let me know.

In the following list, there are two radios over $1000, but they got
a strong response so I am including them.  I also did some very quick
price checking on the web for radios with more than one vote, but did
not check what extras were included such as filters, speakers, etc.
I'm sure there are deals to be found on each radio.  Also note that
the Kenwood TS-930 was the only radio to get negative,
"stay-away-from" votes - as many as positive votes.

Now does anybody have one of the top 4 radios for sale, cheap?  :-)

RADIO        VOTES FOR        VOTES AGAINST        PRICE RANGE

IC-765       8                                     700-900
FT-1000MP    4                                     1200-1500
OMNI VI      4                                     1200-1500
TS-850       4                                     700-900
TS-930       3                3                    400-500
FT-990       3                                     750
TS-940       2                                     550-750
IC-751       1
IC-740       1
IC-746       1
IC-756PRO    1