[CQ-Contest] radio recommendations

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Tue Jun 1 21:38:56 EDT 2004

On Jun 1, 2004, at 11:08 AM, Robert Katz wrote:

> I have a budget of around $1000, so I'll be looking for used rigs.
> What radio would you recommend, and why?  What criteria should I use
> in deciding on a radio?

For around $1000, you can buy and build a K2/100, which is in the top 5
of rigs in terms of strong adjacent signal handling. Some add-ons will
cost more, like SSB, 160m, Noise Blanker, DSP or antenna tuner, but you
can buy and install those as you see fit.

Of course, you'll have to build it, which could either be a bonus or a
deficit, depending on your perspective.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901