[CQ-Contest] Mk V Field FT-1000 MP no xmit

Brad Hedges bhedges at nc.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 22:17:30 EDT 2004

Sorry if this is a dupe - my IP went nuts right as I hit "send" a minute
ago.

Gang,

I recently installed the InRad IF mod and key click mod in my
post-Afganistan-deployment-tax-refund Mk V Field FT-1000 MP gift to myself,
and screwed it up with a solder bridge - nothing against George and crew,
entirely my fault. On testing (before I found said bridge), I did indeed let
the smoke out, and I need to get it back in.

The bridge was on the IF board, across C2148 where the added capacitor and
resistor pair are installed. And unfortunately no, I cannot in good
concience report absolutely that I did not screw up something else....

On key down, I literally "popped" a smd resistor off the power regulator
board (one of the R9019-9020-9021-9022 set), and heated them up pretty
severly, nearly blistering the pcb. On further testing after repairing that,
everything seems to work properly - except for having NO power output.

The rig will key up, all functions as far as I can tell work fine, the
receiver works great. Zero power out. Nothing on the VCC meter, nothing on
the Vectronics pwr meter.

I have reset the CPU and removed the added parts, but still no joy. I have
read all available help files on the VA3CR web site, and all other info I
have found without luck.

InRad suggested I look at the IF board, and indeed I see what looks like a
few warmed up parts, but before I send it off to Yaesu - California from
North Carolina - I wanted to take a shot at finding help here.

Can anybody help me with some troubleshooting? I can - well, usually - use a
soldering iron and a VOM, but knowing just how to check the various bits,
and what their values should be, is still above my current ability. I have
only the schematic which came with the radio, not the service manual, and no
test equipment other than a VOM. Is there any chance I can figure this out
on my own?

Does anybody know what an IF board costs from Yaesu? Anybody have an "extra"
one sitting around?

Thanks in advance,

Brad
K0BHC