[CQ-Contest] Single Band mobile antenna for 80 CW?

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Jun 8 09:25:26 EDT 2004

In a message dated 6/8/04 5:31:21 AM Pacific Daylight Time, k3lr at k3lr.com
writes:

> Can you tell me which single band (non screw driver) 75 meter mobile
> whip has enough "whip" to allow operation all the way to 3.5 MHz (80
> CW)? Most every model says it is good for "75 meters" i.e. no lower than
> 3.75 MHz.

The 75 meter HamStick does not come with enough "whip", but by adding a
couple of top hat wires it will do fine on 80 cw.

I have found that two # 12 stranded wires, fastened to the metal junction
between the body and the whip (over the set screws) with a small hose clamp does
the trick. It is not necessary to clean off the black anodized finish.  Trim
the wires for best SWR - I have found about 10 inches to be the magic length
for 3545 kHz.

Also I have found Lakeview's loading coil to be helpful on 80/75.  The
current AES catalog lists this as the IM-1, which doesn't ring a bell for being a
familiar number, though the description fits what I have.

You can hear what this seven foot antenna can do in the Ohio QSO Party, on
Saturday, August 28.

73  -  Jim   K8MR