[CQ-Contest] 75 to 50 ohm balun

David A. Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Tue Jun 15 00:23:31 EDT 2004

Up until a few years ago, I would have offered the same advice.  However, a
couple of caveats:

- Make sure you avoid lengths that are odd multiples of 1/2
wavelength.  This causes the line to act like a "Q" section and can make
the impedance seen on the input up to 100 ohms and a 2:1 SWR.  I saw this
on my 80M four-square fed with ~ 270' (5/4 wavelength) of CATV
hardline.  SWR at the antenna was flat (as expected with a ComTek
box).  However, in the shack it was 1:1 @ 3800 and 2:1 @ 3500.  I put an
Amidon 50:75 un-un at each end and now it's 1:1 flat in the shack too at
both frequencies.

- The "cut to 1/2 wavelength" trick works for moderate feedline lengths of
a couple half wavelengths or so.  My friend W8MJ did this on a long run of
CATV hardline to a TH6 on his back tower; I would guess maybe 350'.  On 10M
this is something like 27 half-wavelengths and his SWR bandwidth was VERY
narrow.  Again, some 50:75 transformers made the problem go away.

Here at K8CC, the entire station is built around 75 ohm CATV hardline.  I
have used the "asynchronous transformer" (the design using 1/12 wavelength
coax lengths) on all my antennas.  These are monoband antennas tuned to 75
ohms, then I use an asynch in the shack. These have been inplace since 1986
with no SWR issues and no failures.  With multi-band antennas, the Amidon
50:75 un-uns work well.

Dave/K8CC