[CQ-Contest] Let's share some laughs

Art Boyars art.boyars at verizon.net
Sun Jun 20 21:44:44 EDT 2004

Every now and then the snarling on this reflector gets me down.  I'm sitting here this evening, with a few hours of homework waiting to be done.  We had to take down the big tulip poplars in the back yard because of the threat of damage.  One of them shad upported one end of my dipole (my only antenna).  I'm wondering if I'll be able to get an antenna up for SS CW -- and if I can squeeze another year out of the T-4X and R-4B (tree removal cost more than a couple of FT-1000-whatevers.)  I'm worried that the economic force of BPL will have us all off HF in a few years.  Grump. grump, grump.

So, let's share some laughs.  Here's one that old CW traffic handlers might enjoy.  (For you younger types, we're talking about the Simulated Emergency Test, Wisconsin Section Net, Ninth Region Net, Central Area Net, and Eastern Area Net.  W9YT is still W9YT.)

Back around 1969 or '70 I was doing the SET from W9YT.  I went from WIN to 9RN, where the NCS asked me to go to CAN.  You bet!  I zipped up to the CAN freq, and found ... EAN!!  Oh no, I don't know where CAN got moved to for SET.  So I jump into EAN:  "dit".  NCS (one of the famous K2's, but not K2KIR) says "dit".  I say "WHERE CAN?"  NCS says "Well, in my house it's right off the bedroom..."

I could hardly stop laughing.  But he did tell me the freq.

73 and waiting for your stories, Art K3KU