[CQ-Contest] Field Day and CW

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 28 12:16:50 EDT 2004

Rich:

The 15-minute per band/mode rule discourages operating on marginal
bands, such as 160 and 10M.  You are stuck on a band/mode if you make
one contact and you may go the next 15 minutes calling CQs with no
answers.  I made several 10 M QSOs before the contest, but never heard
enough activity on 10 M CW during the contest to justify losing 15
minutes on another band to go to 10 M.  Sorry.

BTW, I assume that the 15 minute rule applies to the free VHF station as
well.  It seems it would be even more difficult to make VHF/UHF QSOs
during FD if you have to stay on a band/mode for 15 minutes after the
first QSO.

73,

John, K4BAI.
a CW op at N4WV, 3A GA.