[CQ-Contest] Band edge violations

Barry Merrill barry at mxg.com
Tue Mar 9 14:28:37 EST 2004

Has anyone actually received an FCC notification of
a violation for operation between 14347 and 14350?

Do you really think they care?  Who actually has
use of the 14350 to 14352 or so frequencies on
which your audio can be heard?  What's the impact?

I'm a whole lot more concerned with the US Stations
who solicit violations of the 40 meter band plan
by Calling CQ and listening below 7040, as that
DOES impact other hams, i.e., those who want to
operate on the non-contest-mode of 40 CW, and
equally concerned with the Foreign stations who
answer those calls, or who use those frequencies
to call their CQs from.

All of those operators, US and Foreign, are simply
self-centered, selfish, competitors with no concept
of courtesy to non-contestors, and are certainly
not gentlemen, in their conscious choice to violate
our gentleman's agreement.

Those who called the CU2 on 14349.3 did not impact
any other hams, caused no interference to anyone,
and did nothing consciously to violate a rule or a
gentleman's agreement; I suspect many of the callers
were not even aware of the idiosyncracy that says
we can't use the top 3KHZ of any band when on USB.

Barry, W5GN